The Davenport building became what it is today through much hard work and many years of adding on to the building. Even though it resides in a small town, there is much more history and many more facts behind our school. From just a one-room building to what it is today, our school has gone from just a small little house to a building teaching 183 students.
The original schoolhouse started very small and was built in 1858, by the efforts of Adam Littig. But as time went on, it grew with more and more students coming in and then was replaced by a two-story building in 1883.
After years of residing in this building, it was then replaced by a brick school in 1909. Two more grades were added to their ten grade system, along with a new full basement. In 1951, a new gymnasium and whole new school were built with a second gym attached in 1978.
Yearly, from 1948 through 1963, the Woman’s Club sponsored summer concerts with Mr. Harrold Jagets. The first class to graduate from Davenport High School was the class of 1910. The school celebrated its golden anniversary on May 29, 1941. Since then, over 1,200 people have graduated from Davenport school.
Later, in 2000, after years of combining classes and sports, Davenport and Bruning combined to create the Bruning-Davenport Unified School District that we know today.